Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Chelsea Galleries Reaction

                In our field trip number 5, we went to Chelsea Galleries, which are art marketplace. Unfortunately, we didn't have a chance to go with our professor since these galleries close on Mondays. We were told by our professor this time to assume the role of an art collector. These collectors help the marketplace to stay open since the spend plenty of money by buying artworks. In addition, they make the artist keep working and making money.
                 Since an art collector should buy what he likes, I really liked the artwork of the artist Irfran Onurmen especialy two artworks. One of them is about crime watching, and the other is about soccer.
For me an artwork has to deliver a message, this is why i liked the first artwork. In addition, the artwork is so nice. When you go farther the characters in the artwork seem to be moving. Since i'm a big fan of soccer, i liked the artwork that is about soccer. I think this artist's work is a big investment because his artwork is so nice and the artist uses creativity in his work. I'm pretty sure if i buy his work, i will be able to get my money back even after ten years. I would like to display Ifran's work rather than storing it.
                 On the other hand, I didn't like some of David Opdyke's artwork. I didn't understand some of his work too especially those with the Cast urethane plastic. I don't know how these things can be considered an art. what's even worse their prices. I think that the artist's work is not a big investment because his artwork is not that good. If you like his work now, later on you will not like since it has no creativity. I think if i buy his work, i may lose my money. I wouldn't like to display his work.
                  To sum up, it was a nice field trip, I learned many things about the role of an art collector, and most of the artworks were nice although, they are so expensive. Some of the artwork worth more than what most people make in a year.


Ifran Onurmen
"Crime Watching"
2006-2012

David Opdyke
"Market Driven Expansion"
2012

David Opdyke
"Concentrated Demand"
2012






*I couldn't find the name of this artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment